Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Thursday 9 April 2015

Purple Sandpiper - New Brighton

This bird is one of my favourite waders. I've only ever seen it twice, and on this occasion there were eleven of them. In February of last year I saw my first one on the rocks at Colwyn Bay. The plumage on these birds is just wonderful. Purplish on top and mainly white underneath. They just look very neat and compact.
This particular group were huddled on a pontoon at New Brighton, on the Wirral. The tide was in and the beach covered. It was time for a little R&R.

They do have two legs. They were all just choosing to use one.


In the background here with a Laughing Gull, (Front) and Turnstones (many).

Turnstones, to the right, are slightly bigger.

22 comments:

  1. Those Purple Sandpipers are very neat and interesting birds. I love the united one-legged stance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute how they stand on one leg...Great photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. As she stand on one leg, this photo has me elicits a smile.
    Very nice shots of an adorable bird !
    Greetings from germany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purple Sandpipers are fairly rare here and I have never seen one...except in photos. Love it that they are all standing on one leg. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos!
    Have a wonderful week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Purple Sandpipers are beautiful, great shots of all the Shorebirds..
    Thank you for linking up, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How brilliant to see all those "purps" together Adam. Ones or twos is the best I can manage around here nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic, the Purple Sandpiper is one I haven't got yet. Well done Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely birds! Thank you for your visit at my photoblog! Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the purple sandpipers! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness...a new bird for me. And they're so pretty!!! Wow. Impressive captures, too, Adam.

    Thank you so very much for enlightening us by sharing the link today at I'd Rather B Birdin'.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many sand pipers all in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've captured such wonderful detail in the bird feathers. Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely shots of the cute birds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That's pretty amazing that most of them were standing on only one leg. Great photos of them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. sweet captures, but i was hoping for some REAL purple ;)

    what a tease!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They're rather pretty!
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/04/cat-on-ladder.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are great up close photos!!
    http://ohmyheartsiegirl.com/heartsie-girls-wordless-wednesday-11

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely birds and lovely photos! Thanks for your visit at my photoblog! Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.