Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Tuesday 29 July 2014

Summer Gulling.

I've always found it hard to love gulls. Initially because they seemed to be a pest when I was young. Always trying to steal your food on the beach, or waking you up early with a raucous call outside the window. Then, as a birder, finding it difficult to distinguish certain types due to the many different plumage the same species can have.
On lovely sunny days though I can't stop pointing the camera at them. They make it a little easier for you by sitting on the water. Then when you think you know which gull it is, doubts creep in and the books come out again. I'll love them one day. I think.

My head is telling me this is a Lesser black-backed Gull, but that dark bit on the bill throws in a small doubt.

I'm quite sure it is just the last features of a juvenile bird. 4th calendar year bird. (I think)

Is that a tear I can see?


 

13 comments:

  1. HI Adam I don't know why it would have that black on it's beak! However they are great shots of it and the last shot has a wonderful reflection

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo and wonderful details, gulls can be a pest but they are really beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is quite frustrating when there are anomolies to deal with Adam, but you have to admit the gulls do make for a neat image and generally a 'good shoot' when others are light on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful serie!
    My post: http://hanshb.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful gull and closeups, I have not begun to try learning all the gulls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great series of photos. Your northern hemisphere gulls are very difficult to ID with the plumage changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adam, I don't know much about Gulls I'm afraid, so can't help, but I do know good photos when I see them, and these are excellent captures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gulls are beautiful birds but soo hard to get an ID right. ) Love the images.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic shots! Beautiful birds, but especially the young ones are hard to id.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm like you--have never been too crazy about gulls. In general, water birds are not my favorites. I like the woodland birds, the songbirds and the raptors. Well, and the hummers. :-) But, then I feel guilty. I hope that ISN'T a tear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely shots of the gulls.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.